About The Blog

"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese." --Charles de Gaulle

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Day One: The First Day

Okay, so I haven't even been here 24 hours and yet I feel I know the island like the back of my hand. Maybe that's what happens when you don't bother to look at a map and just turn down random streets all morning. The main reason for my random turning was the fact I was looking for a cellphone. And the reason I was eagerly looking for a cell phone is another story. I attempted to take money off my debit card when I landed but unfortunately being awake for 27 hours limited my awareness to the fact pin pads in Hong Kong are opposite those of Canada. 1 is at the top and 9 is at the bottom. Muscle memory doesn't take the numbers into account and I locked myself out of my accounts and had to call the bank. Originally I didn't think this would be a huge problem as my credit card still worked but again, thinking only got me into trouble. I figured I could go without eating until I found a phone and work my way up to The Peak at the same time. And still I ran into problems as there were no cell phone shops in the area and once I made to the entrance for the tram for the peak, they too only accepted cash. Don't worry though, as I write this I'm about to board the tram all paid up.

There are a few interesting things I've notice in Hong Kong since I've been here. For starters, it's nice and humid!!! But it's also interesting how many people don't speak English. I'm not trying to be ethnocentric or say everyone should but considering Hong Kong was a British Colony just over 10 years ago, I didn't expect to have to point to the signs at McDonalds for what I want. Being an Asian country I also expected a little more of a smell but instead you get two different ones. There is still the smell of sewage that rises every once and a while buts its starkly contrasted with a strong smell of soap everywhere else. It is a beautiful city though and with all my random walking I have never felt unsafe. But maybe that's because I'm a good head above everyone else! :)
 
Part II: Post Peak!

It really is a beautiful city. It's nice after being the only white guy on a lot of streets this morning to blend in a little more but even still many white people were not speaking English. It's a very multicultural tourist destination. Out of the accents I could understand, probably 80% were Aussie. That was always welcome.

So after getting lost and ending up a few different place I came to settle at the pier where a guy came and asked me if we could talk so he could practice his English. He's a police officer up for promotion and the entire interview is in English. Even though Hong Kong now 'belongs' to China, all the official forms and top government stuff is in English.He also helped explain why I noticed not a lot of people who can speak English. People in Hong Kong have to learn English in school but of course, as many Canadians who have had to take French will tell you, this means nothing. Many children end up disliking learning English, much like my own experience with French, and either forgot it all or prefer not to speak it.

After he gave me advice as to where to go I finished watching the sunset then headed further into town to the Temple Street Night Market. I've been to a few different night markets in different countries and had high expectations for this one but was sadly disappointing. Over half the stalls were either iphone cases or Chopsticks. I guess I should complain too much as that is only what I was looking for. After buying a pair of chopsticks and a chopstick rest as well as a few iphone cases, I headed back to the pier to watch the Symphony of Lights. It's amazing to see the entire city put on a show for both tourists and locals alike. The place where I watched it played the music over loud speakers. It was pretty incredible. So far I would have to say Hong Kong really impresses me!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment