About The Blog

"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese." --Charles de Gaulle

Friday 13 January 2012

What? I have to learn here?

Well, it's been a few days and the groups all here. Right now we are staying at a YWCA camp in the New Territories of Hong Kong, pretty much the exact opposite side of the city from where I stayed when I first got here. It's been interesting to compare my view of the city with the rest of the group. When we are out and about I have no problem wandering by myself and not knowing where I am. I would have to say this is one of the first cities I feel comfortable doing that so quickly. I've already seen the tall building and markets here so when the rest of the group is doing that I usually find myself wandering one of the many beautiful parks here. This city and I seem to sync pretty well and in discussion I've been asked if I would live here. The short answer would be not for long. I could do a year or two but in the end there are simply too many people. The one thing that rattles me the most here is how no one seems to notice me. After The Philippines and Guatemala I was kind of used to standing out and being noticed for it but here in Hong Kong I am just one of the crowd. White people aren't anything special or even noteworthy. It's freeing but a different experience as well.

One of the interesting parts in the group dynamics is how quickly I've become the guy and appears and disappears, who does his own thing. The scary part is I've been trying to avoid that this time but apparently to little avail. At this point it must be really who I am. But let me stop there, I'm not sure anyone wants to read the analysis of Colin.

In our classes we have started learning small cultural snippets as well as background to the Chinese language. Once we get to Xiamen out classes are actually going to really begin, which means 8 o'clock classes. Not looking forward to that part.

Our class today really focused on the Church in China and including a little history and what it looks like today. It's fascinating to hear all of this from our prof whose wife is a native Chinese and a member at a 3-Self Church. Often these churches are portrayed in North America as government run when really all they are are government registered. Due to its history China provides freedom of religion but also freedom from religion. While closer to the capital they might be a little more restrictive on the church, in most of China churches are free to do whatever they please. Chinese are allowed to be Christians and Christians are welcome but a foreign Christian must not try to convert Chinese. This comes back to the British in the 19th century.

I have also heard about bibles not being available there and while this may be true, it is for different reasons than many think. Bibles may be bought in any bookstore and are printed in Mandarin but the problem is the demand is too high. Many westerners feel they must try to smuggle bibles in but really its a lot cheaper to give money to a Chinese charity which will print them in China and disperse them. It appears the government is quite lax toward religion. I do have to warn this is currently all hear-say but from a fairly reliable source.

Random moment: After visiting the flamingos, which you naturally find in a Hong Kong park, climbing up the castle tower and then of course firing the canons they had there toward the invading Chinese. Random enough for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment