About The Blog

"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese." --Charles de Gaulle

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Leffe and a Lemur


I know I just did a post but the last one was suppose to go up last night. I'm finally sitting down to my first actual meal! Unfortunately for you, it still not anything near Asian. I found a little British place and ordered some fish and chips. Mock me all you will but I have four months to eat Asian cuisine and only a couple more hours to enjoy a Leffe while watching the crowd.


This morning in my meanders I went to Time Square. I pretty much only went there for the name but I found out its actually like a 14 story mall. Each floor is pretty small but it contained everything my western consumerist heart could desire. It's amazing the contrast in Hong Kong between the wealthy and poor and how little it appears to matter to people. I was walking down a street which I was certain was off the beaten track and a lot of whole in the wall shops when suddenly there was a Cartier dealership! I can't even find one of those in Calgary! And among the people there seems to be no real separation other than clothing.

One of the things that really fascinated me so far is the abundance of smart phones. I know it's Asia do its kind of assumed but when riding the subway a least 8 of 10 people are playing on their smartphone. With this is also how well Samsung is doing in Hong Kong with their Galaxy. I would guess at least 40% of the smartphone market is Galaxy with 50% being iPhones. Poor Blackberry is way far behind, I have yet to see one. 

I also love all the free stuff Hong Kong has to offer. Walking through the botanical gardens there's suddenly a little zoo in the middle (with monkeys, hence the name of the post)! The city never fails to surprise me. The government also offers free wifi at many of their prime tourist destinations which is always handy as well. After two days in the city I have rode more escalators than the rest of my life put together, walked far too many stairs, been lost countless times and ended up in some of the most wonderful places.  

Please forgive me as I try and get back into blogging mode, hopefully once life slows down a little it will be more deep thoughts and less... this. But tomorrow morning I meet up with the rest of the group so I'm pretty stoked about that and then next week it's off to Xiamen! Woot!
Thanks for stopping by!

Awkward moment of the day: being a Canadian sitting in a British pub in the middle of Hong Kong listening to Born in the USA

1 comment: